Thursday, March 10, 2011

Single Flash Assignment

For this assignment I took my new SB-600 flash out and used it in multiple low-light situations. First, I photographed students playing billiards at Mort's in the new MU Student Center using direct flash. I then used bounce flash to photograph another student filling her car with gas, reflecting my flash off the gas pump itself to light the situation.

MU student Kelli Dawson fills her car with gas at the Conoco station for $3.39 a gallon. Despite the recent spike in gas prices, Dawson considers purchasing gas unavoidable as she lives off campus and drives to class daily.



MU student Karl Chwiesiuk plays billiards at Mort's in the recently completed MU Student Center.

Though I chose the above image as my select, a lot of other images from the billiards shoot turned out well. Though the lighting is imperfect, I particularly like the content of this one from a journalistic, interaction-based standpoint.


(From left to right) Trevor Howes, Michael Owens and Karl Chwiesiuk watch as Tom Collins takes his turn. The four students regularly play billiards at Mort's in the MU Student Center.

Here's a lighting diagram for how I created my two selects:

No comments:

Post a Comment