Thursday, March 24, 2011

Balance/Fill

This week I used my flash as a fill light as opposed to being the key light. I sat down with Jack Smithey, a strategic communications student at the university, as he played banjo on the quad around high noon on a sunny day. I used the flash to fill in his face, eliminating distracting shadows caused by his hat. Here's the resulting image:


MU student Jack Smithey plays banjo on Francis Quadrangle. Having already learned guitar, Smithey has been practicing banjo since Christmas.

Here's a lighting diagram to show how I did it:


I also used my flash to balance an indoor setting with the brightness of a sunny day. To do this I went to Yogoluv, a local frozen yogurt bar, to try to show how business was picking up due to the sunny weather. I bounced my flash off the ceiling to brighten the inside setting. Though I didn't choose it as my select, here's one resulting image from the shoot:


(Left to right) Brenda Liewalt, Brittany Kenhagan and Emily Hartwood enjoy frozen yogurt on Sunday afternoon as temperatures reach the mid-70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment